If you’re interested, start by reading this. It goes through the benefits of single-blade shaving and offers suggestions for a starting kit.
I always shave right after a shower, and usually do at least two passes (one with the grain, one against the grain, and one across the grain), and use the following:
- Omega badger brush
- Colonel Conk shave mug
- 1961 Gillette Fat Boy razor, replated with rhodium by Razor Emporium
If you’re just looking for to get started, here’s a pretty decent list:
- You can always get a fancier razor if you decide to stick with it, but for getting your feet wet, something simple like this is perfect.
- Mixed badger/boar hair shaving brush (badger is better than boar, but more expensive).
- For shaving creams, I would recommend starting with a mix-and-match of different scents from here. I did this a couple months ago and got some that I love, others that are less enjoyable, but now I know which scents I like and which I should buy a bigger jar of. Sandalwood and Eton College are classic manly scents, but I really like the Lavender and Grapefruit as well.
- As far as blades go, you can’t go wrong with a huge sampler pack. It’ll give you a bunch of different blades to try so you can find what works best for you.
- You’ll also want a mug, you use that to whip your cream into a lather. You can get one here, or see if you have something that looks similar laying around at home.