If you’re interested, start by reading this. It goes through the benefits of single-blade shaving and offers suggestions for a starting kit.
I always shave right after a shower, and usually do at least two passes (one with the grain, one against the grain, and one across the grain), and use the following:
- Omega badger brush
- Colonel Conk shave mug
- 1961 Gillette Fat Boy razor, replated with rhodium by Razor Emporium
If you’re just looking for to get started, here’s a pretty decent list:
- You can always get a fancier razor if you decide to stick with it, but for getting your feet wet, something simple like this is perfect.
- Mixed badger/boar hair shaving brush (badger is better than boar, but more expensive).
- For shaving creams, I would recommend starting with a mix-and-match of different scents from here. Their samples will last a while, and they have a ton of options, and matching aftershaves for each scent. I do not recommend getting the metal tins to store these, as the humidity (at least in my bathroom) may cause rusting and make the tins hard to open, but Stirling sells some plastic tubs as well (I actually keep mine in an old wooden bowl from Art of Shaving).
- As far as blades go, you can’t go wrong with a huge sampler pack. It’ll give you a bunch of different blades to try so you can find what works best for you.
- You’ll also want a mug, you use that to whip your cream into a lather. You can get one here, or see if you have something that looks similar laying around at home.